Smoke Alarm Sales Jump After Deadly Stamford Fire

Fire officials say the deaths underscore the importance of having working smoke detectors and an escape plan

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Getty Images
    MOUNT PROSPECT, IL - FEBRUARY 19: A dual Smoke and Carbon Monoxide alarm is displayed in a Home Depot store February 19, 2004 in Mount Prospect, Illinois. United States Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that about 125 carbon-monoxide-related deaths occur each year. (Photo by Tim Boyle/Getty Images)

    Owners of several stores in Connecticut communities near a deadly Christmas morning fire are reporting a noticeable jump in purchases of smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and escape ladders.

    The Time of Greenwich reports some hardware store owners say people also have been bringing in their existing alarms to check and replace batteries after the deadly Stamford fire.

    Fireplace Embers Caused Deadly Blaze: Officials

    [NY] Fireplace Embers Caused Deadly Blaze: Officials
    A Christmas Day fire that killed three children and their grandparents was caused by discarded fireplace embers left in a first-floor mudroom, officials said Tuesday. Pei-Sze Cheng has more from Stamford, Conn.

    Officials say the improper disposal of fireplace ashes sparked the blaze, which killed 7-year-old twins Grace and Sarah Badger; their 9-year-old sister, Lily; and their grandparents, Pauline and Lomer Johnson.

    Their mother and a friend were able to escape the burning mansion, which later had to be torn down.

    Audio Tapes in Stamford Blaze

    [NY] Fire Dept. Audio Tapes in Fatal Stamford Blaze
    The Stamford Fire and Rescue Department has released the tapes of radio transmissions from the fatal Christmas morning fire in which three children and their two grandparents died. Tom Llamas has more on the dramatic back-and-forth between firefighters.

    Fire officials say the deaths underscore the importance of having working smoke detectors and an escape plan, and taking precautions with fireplace ashes and other flammable materials.