The Bloomberg administration has again delayed its new homeless policy require adults seeking shelter to prove they have no other options.
The city agreed during a court hearing Friday it will not implement the controversial plan until various legal challenges move forward. Both the City Council and Legal Aid have gone to court over the policy, which was originally set to go into effect on Nov. 14.
It was delayed the first time when NBC New York first reported the plan.
Critics say the policy is "cruel" and will only worsen street homelessness; one lawsuit argues the did not follow procedure set forth in the City Charter for making such a policy change.
Department of Homeless Services Commissioner Seth Diamond has said his agency was transparent about the new policy and violated no laws.
"This is the right policy for taxpayers," he said. "People who have alternate places to stay are not homeless."
DHS officials had previously said the policy will save $4 million a year, reserving shelter space for people who truly need it.
The Legal Aid Society has asked a State Supreme Court judge who oversees city shelter policy to review the legality of the new plan.
The next court date on the issue is Jan. 20.