Downed wires sparked a fire that ruptured a gas line and destroyed several cars in Mamaroneck Tuesday morning.
Fire officials said an overhead power line came down shortly before 1:30 a.m. near a home on Mamaroneck and Winfield avenues.
A car caught fire when the downed wire began sparking, and the flames spread to an underground natural gas line, which caused another fire and damaged more vehicles, officials said.
At least two homes were evacuated, but none were damaged by the fire and no one was injured. Firefighters let the natural gas fire burn to prevent a possible explosion.
About 500 residents were without power at the peak of the outage, but Con Ed says electricity has since been mostly restored.