A Timeline of Saudi Statements on the Killing of Jamal Khashoggi - NBC New York
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

A Timeline of Saudi Statements on the Killing of Jamal Khashoggi

Saudi Arabia is facing increased criticism over its handling of the case

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Trump: 'Certainly Looks' As Though Saudi Writer is Dead

    President Donald Trump says it "certainly looks" as though missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi is dead. (Published Friday, Oct. 19, 2018)

    What to Know

    • Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman initially said, "We have nothing to hide"

    • Saudi Arabia describes claims in the media that there were "orders to kill (Khashoggi)" as "lies and baseless allegations

    • Saudi Arabia then said preliminary investigations show an "altercation" and "fistfight" led to Khashoggi's death at the consulate

    The official Saudi statements on the fate of journalist Jamal Khashoggi have changed several times since he mysteriously disappeared after entering his country's consulate in Istanbul earlier this month.

    The latest announcement on Saturday, declaring that Khashoggi had died in a "fistfight" with officials that came to see him there, increased criticism over Saudi's handling of the case and concern over the kingdom's possible complicity in the killing of the prominent Washington Post columnist.

    Here is a look at the Saudi narrative regarding Khashoggi, as it developed.

    ___

    Oct. 2: Khashoggi enters the Saudi consulate in a leafy neighborhood in Istanbul at 1.14 p.m. on Tuesday. He had left his mobile phones with his Turkish fiancé, who waited for him outside the consulate. She calls friends hours later to tell them that Khashoggi never emerged from the consulate.

    Oct. 3: In a wide-ranging interview, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman tells Bloomberg he understands that Khashoggi left the consulate after "a few minutes or one hour." Bin Salman says his kingdom's authorities are in talks with the Turkish government to determine what happened. He insists Khashoggi is no longer inside the consulate and says Turkish authorities are welcome to search the diplomatic mission. "We have nothing to hide," says the crown prince.

    Saudi Journalist Jamal Khashoggi Feared Dead After Entering Saudi ConsulateSaudi Journalist Jamal Khashoggi Feared Dead After Entering Saudi Consulate

    Jamal Khashoggi, a Saudi journalist and Washington Post contributor, is feared dead after he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last week and has not been seen since. Khashoggi has been a vocal critic of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman. Khashoggi went to the consulate to pick up paperwork in order to marry his fiancee.

    (Published Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2018)

    Oct. 4: On Twitter, the Saudi consulate in Istanbul says it is following up on media reports of Khashoggi's disappearance "after he left the building" of the consulate.

    Oct. 4: Turkey summons the Saudi ambassador.

    Oct. 6: Saudi Arabia says it has dispatched a team to "investigate and cooperate" with Turkish officials over Khashoggi's case.

    Oct. 7: Turkish officials say Khashoggi has been killed at the consulate. A Saudi government statement describes the Turkish allegations as "baseless."

    Oct. 9: Turkey says it will search the consulate.

    Oct. 11: Turkey says it has agreed with Saudi Arabia to form a joint group to shed light on the disappeared journalist's fate. The Saudi team arrives in Istanbul a day later.

    Trump Doesn’t Want to Sanction Saudis Over Missing WriterTrump Doesn’t Want to Sanction Saudis Over Missing Writer

    Jamal Khashoggi, a Saudi journalist and Washington Post contributor, is missing and feared dead after he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last week. President Donald Trump says he wants to learn more about the incident but does not want to place sanctions on Saudi Arabia.

    (Published Thursday, Oct. 11, 2018)

    Oct. 13: Saudi Arabia's interior minister describes claims in the media that there were "orders to kill (Khashoggi)" as "lies and baseless allegations." Turkish media quote officials as saying Khashoggi has been killed and dismembered inside the consulate.

    Oct. 14: Turkey's Foreign Ministry renews calls on Saudi Arabia to allow investigators to search the consulate.

    Oct. 15: Nearly two weeks after Khashoggi's disappearance, teams of Turkish investigators enter the consulate to start their search.

    Oct. 15: A Saudi-owned satellite news channel says the 15-member team referred to by Turkish media as Khashoggi's "hit squad" were "tourists" visiting Turkey.

    Oct. 16: Without warning, the Saudi consul in Istanbul, a key witness in the case, leaves Turkey to Saudi Arabia.

    Senators Vow to Act If Khashoggi Killed by SaudisSenators Vow to Act If Khashoggi Killed by Saudis

    Some members of Congress say the U.S. must act against Saudi Arabia if the country's leaders are responsible for the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, but they differ on exactly what that action would entail.

    (Published Thursday, Oct. 18, 2018)

    Oct. 17: Turkish authorities begin searching the consul's residence in Istanbul.

    Oct. 19: In a late-night announcement, Saudi Arabia's public prosecutor says preliminary investigations show an "altercation" and "fistfight" led to Khashoggi's death shortly after he arrived at the consulate. He adds that 18 Saudi nationals were detained. A Saudi foreign ministry official says the kingdom is investigating the "regrettable and painful incident of Jamal Khashoggi's death" and forming a committee to hold those responsible accountable.