Electrical Power Strip Caused Brooklyn Fire That Killed 95-Year-Old Woman: FDNY

What to Know

  • A 95-year-old woman died in a fire at a home in Brooklyn Saturday afternoon, officials said
  • Anna Barthelemy was found unconscious in the basement of a home in Canarsie
  • Another person and a firefighter both sustained minor injuries in the fire, officials said

An electrical power strip malfunctioned, causing a Brooklyn house fire that killed a 95-year-old woman, the fire marshall said Sunday. 

The fire that killed Anna Barthelemy was ruled accidental, the FDNY said. 

She was found in the basement of her home on East 93rd Street in Canarsie. There was no smoke detector in the basement, the FDNY said. 

There were smoke detectors on the first and second floors, but they weren't working, the FDNY said. 

Barthelemy's house and the one next door were burning when firefighters arrived Saturday afternoon. 

Another person and a firefighter both sustained minor injuries, according to the FDNY. 

Contact Us