New Jersey

Alleged High Driver in Obliterating NJ Gas Station Crash That Killed 3 Is Identified, Arrested

The crash happened in Wayne, New Jersey Tuesday morning; a father, teenage son and gas station attendant were killed

What to Know

  • A driver on drugs hit a guardrail and crashed into a gas station, ripping the roof off another car, law enforcement sources said
  • The crash happened in Wayne, New Jersey Tuesday morning; a father, his 17-year-old son, and a gas station attendant died
  • The driver, identifired as 29-year-old Jason Vanderee, survived after being administered Narcan at the scene; he faces various charges

The 29-year-old man who was allegedly high on drugs when he barreled into a gas station in New Jersey Tuesday, killing three people, has been identified.

Jason Vanderee, of Glenwood, was charged with aggravated manslaughter, death by auto while driving intoxicated, possession of a controlled dangerous substance and other crimes in the devastating crash that obliterated three lives.

Vanderee, who was administered Narcan at the scene, hit a guardrail and smashed into a Delta gas station on Route 23; the impact was so violent it tore the roof off a vehicle at the scene, killing the father and 17-year-old son inside. 

Three cars are seen smashed to pieces after a crash in Wayne, New Jersey, Tuesday morning.

The dead father and son were identified as Jon Warbeck, a 50-year-old construction business owner from Fair Lawn, and Luke Warbeck, a 17-year-old from Lincoln Park. Two other people in separate cars were also treated for various injuries. Friends of Luke, a junior at Boonton High School, were devastated. 

"I saw him Sunday night," said Kevin Raimi. "We were just hanging out. I didn't think that would be the last time I'd ever speak to him." 

When he learned of the devastating crash, "it killed me. It absolutely killed me. My heart just dropped." 

Juan Fernandez said, "It hasn't really set in, just like that somebody's life could be taken." 

A 22-year-old gas station attendant who had recently moved to the U.S. from India to pursue a better life also died. Relatives identified him as Lovedeep Fatra, of Pequannock. 

"His parents are devastated overseas," said Fatra's cousin, Novdeep Singh. "He speaks to them every day. Day and night. I don't know what to make of it." 

An initial court hearing for Vanderee Wednesday afternoon was postponed due to weather; it wasn't clear when it would be scheduled, nor was it known if he had an attorney who could comment on the allegations on his behalf. 

[NATL] Top News Photos: Pope Visits Japan, and More

Contact Us