<![CDATA[NBC New York - Sports]]>Copyright 2017http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports http://media.nbcnewyork.com/designimages/4NY_Horizontal.jpg NBC New York http://www.nbcnewyork.comen-usSun, 19 Feb 2017 21:31:29 -0500Sun, 19 Feb 2017 21:31:29 -0500NBC Owned Television Stations <![CDATA[Michael Jordan's Top Sports Moments]]> Sat, 18 Feb 2017 09:11:52 -0500 //media.nbcnewyork.com/images/213*120/TITLEMJ.jpg Air Jordan turns 54 today. From the unforgettable "double nickel" game at Madison Square Garden to the iconic "Flu Game" against the Utah Jazz, take a look back at some of Michael Jordan's greatest moments on the NBA hardwood.

Photo Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS]]>
<![CDATA[Gymnastics Doc Used Hide-and-Seek Games to Molest: Accuser]]> Fri, 17 Feb 2017 13:11:04 -0500 //media.nbcnewyork.com/images/213*120/gymnasticsdoctormolestor.jpg

A woman who says the disgraced team doctor for USA Gymnastics molested her as a child testified Friday that he turned games of hide-and-seek in the basement of his home into abuse sessions, NBC News reported.

"Almost every time I was there for a couple of years, something occurred," the woman, a former family friend, said during a preliminary hearing before a judge ordered disgraced doctor Larry Nassar to stand trial on state sex-abuse charges.

Nassar, 53, is also charged in federal court with possession of child pornography — more than 37,000 images, including Go Pro video he allegedly made himself.



Photo Credit: AP]]>
<![CDATA[Lawsuit Against Lance Armstrong Can Go Ahead: Judge]]> Wed, 15 Feb 2017 07:35:18 -0500 //media.nbcnewyork.com/images/213*120/lancearmstrongmara.jpg

A federal judge has allowed a civil lawsuit brought by the U.S. government against disgraced former pro cyclist Lance Armstrong to proceed, tossing aside Armstrong's arguments that the case should be dismissed, NBC News reported.

The Justice Department alleges in the lawsuit, made under the False Claims Act, that Armstrong, a seven-time Tour de France winner, defrauded the government by doping while sponsored by the U.S. Postal Service. The Justice Department declined to comment Tuesday.

From 2000 to 2004, the Postal Service paid Armstrong's team, the aptly named U.S. Postal Service Pro Cycling Team, a little more than $32 million, most of which went to Armstrong because he was the team's star rider, according to court filings.

But the government is seeking damages nearing $100 million, about three times what USPS paid in sponsorships to the Postal Service Team during periods that fall within the False Claims Act's statute of limitations.



Photo Credit: AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez, File]]>
<![CDATA[Charles Oakley's MSG Ban Lifted, But He Wants an Apology]]> Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:04:32 -0500 //media.nbcnewyork.com/images/213*120/oakley+dolan.jpg

Charles Oakley is allowed back in Madison Square Garden, though the former New York Knicks star says he wants an apology before he would return. 

MSG chairman James Dolan banned Oakley last week, two days after the former power forward had an altercation with security guards while attending a game and was arrested. 

But the sides reconciled, helped by a meeting Monday at NBA headquarters with Commissioner Adam Silver and Hall of Famer Michael Jordan. Jordan and Oakley were teammates in Chicago before Oakley was traded to New York, where he became a fan favorite with the Knicks from 1988-98. 

Dolan then decided Oakley is welcome back at the arena, a person briefed on the discussions told The Associated Press on Tuesday. ESPN.com first reported the decision. 

Oakley later told ESPN: "It's not about being at the Garden. It's about the fans. I want them to apologize to the fans. I told the commissioner I want them to apologize to the fans." 

Oakley was asked on "The Dan Le Batard Show" if he would attend Madison Square Garden as Dolan's quest. 

"Right now, no," he said. "I told him yesterday." 

"I have never asked for nothing," Oakley added. "I love the fans in New York. They've been supportive. One of the things I told the commissioner, I want to have a press conference and I want him to apologize to me and the fans. They've had my back and they've felt the pain. I really appreciate the people all around who've had my back." 

The Knicks said they had nothing to add beyond a statement issued Monday by Silver, who said both sides were apologetic about the rift and thanked them for working toward a resolution. 

Oakley was a popular player in New York but his relationship with Dolan became strained after his criticisms of the team and its management. The Knicks stopped providing him with complimentary tickets and inviting him to team functions. 

Oakley still attended a few games a year on his own, including last Wednesday's, when he was seated a few rows behind Dolan and was surrounded by security in the first quarter. He shoved a couple of security officials before he was pulled away and handcuffed. 

Dolan announced the ban during an interview with ESPN Radio on Friday, though he said he hoped to see Oakley return someday. Dolan said he believed Oakley had anger or alcohol issues he first needed to address. 

The Knicks are on the road this week for their only game before the All-Star break. They don't play at home again until Feb. 25. 

Dolan welcomed back another estranged former Knick, Latrell Sprewell, on Sunday for the team's most recent game. Sprewell hadn't been back at MSG since 2004 following his falling out with the owner.



Photo Credit: AP/Getty]]>
<![CDATA[Oakley Reaches Truce With Dolan, MSG: NBA]]> Mon, 13 Feb 2017 22:54:21 -0500 //media.nbcnewyork.com/images/213*120/oakley+dolan.jpg

Charles Oakley has reached a truce with Madison Square Garden and Knicks owner Jim Dolan, the NBA says. 

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said in a statement Monday that he met with the two men in the league office, with Michael Jordan joining by phone. 

"Both Mr. Oakley and Mr. Dolan were apologetic about the incident and subsequent comments, and their negative impact on the Knicks organization and the NBA," Silver said. "Mr. Dolan expressed his hope that Mr. Oakley would return to MSG as his guest in the near future." 

The apparent resolution comes after a news conference earlier in the day in which Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams said he thought Oakley was "targeted" by MSG security at a game last Wednesday in which he got into a shoving match with security personnel. 

Adams, a former NYPD officer, said he had a copy of an internal investigation into the now-infamous altercation, and that it reveals the opposite of what MSG officials have said happened. He said it was security guards, not Oakley, who started the fight that led to the former Knick being arrested and banned from the Garden. 

The report has not been confirmed by MSG officials. 

"When I look through this report, based on my law enforcement experience -- I looked through this report line by line and read it thoroughly -- it was clear to me that Mr. Oakley was targeted, Mr. Oakley was approached, and the primary reason he was removed or attempted to be removed on that day dealt with a security personnel who 'had a previous relationship with him,'" said Adams, a former NYPD officer. 

Oakley got into a shoving match with security personnel at last Wednesday night's matchup against the Los Angeles Clippers. The former Knicks player was dragged out of the game in handcuffs on live television, inciting a swift backlash from fans and NBA players, who momentarily halted the game to watch the scuffle unfold. 

In a radio interview Friday, Dolan said Oakley was banned from the arena indefinitely.



Photo Credit: AP/Getty]]>
<![CDATA[Giants Release Fan Favorite Victor Cruz]]> Mon, 13 Feb 2017 14:34:30 -0500 //media.nbcnewyork.com/images/213*120/tlmd_victor_cruz_dep_470_265.jpg

The Giants are releasing fan favorite Victor Cruz after seven years with the team, NBC 4 New York has confirmed.

The move had been widely anticipated to free up $7.5 million in cap room, but nonetheless prompted an avalanche of sadness on social media from fans who grew to love the receiver who famously did the salsa dance in the end zone every time he scored a touchdown. 

The 30-year-old undrafted receiver rose from virtual anonymity to global superstar when he hauled in 82 receptions for 1,536 yards and nine touchdowns during the 2011 season, which ended with a Super Bowl win over the New England Patriots. He followed that up with a 10-touchdown, 1,000-yard campaign the next year. 

Injuries sidelined the Paterson, New Jersey, native for 26 straight games from 2014 to 2015. Cruz returned for the Giants' opener against Dallas in September, scoring the game-winning touchdown and, yes, celebrating with an end zone salsa dance, in that matchup. 

Cruz finished this past season with 39 receptions for 586 yards and that lone score. He played college ball at the University of Massachusetts.

He thanked supporters in an Instagram post Monday. 

"No long paragraph for all to read, just simply THANK YOU!" Cruz wrote. "To the @nygiants organization and to the amazing fans that have watched me grow up in front of their eyes. THANK YOU!!"

The team also cut running back Rashad Jennings, who earned most of his 3,772 career rushing yards and 25 touchdowns in his three seasons with the Giants.


This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.]]>
<![CDATA[Former Miami Dolphin Quentin Moses Dies in GA House Fire]]> Sun, 12 Feb 2017 15:41:36 -0500 //media.nbcnewyork.com/images/213*120/021217+quentin+moses.jpg

Former Miami Dolphins linebacker Quentin Moses was one of three people killed in a house fire in Georgia early Sunday, authorities said.

Moses, 33, was found unconscious inside the burning home in the city of Monroe just after 6 a.m. after firefighters arrived, Monroe Fire Department officials said.

He was moved outside and given CPR then taken to a local hospital where he died. After the roof collapsed, firefighters later discovered the bodies of 10-year-old Jasmine Godard and her mother, 31-year-old Andria Godard, inside the home.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Friends and former teammates took to Twitter Sunday to offer their condolences.

[[413532853, C]]

[[413533353, C]]

Moses was from Georgia and was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the third round in 2007. He later signed with the Dolphins and stayed with the team through the 2010 season. He registered 3.5 sacks in 44 games.

"We were deeply saddened to hear about the tragic news involving Quentin Moses. Our thoughts and sincere condolences go out to his family and friends during this difficult time," The Dolphins said in a statement Sunday.

[[413532943, C]]

Moses had most recently been serving as a football coach at Reinhardt University.



Photo Credit: Getty Images
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.]]>
<![CDATA[Marlins: Jose Fernandez's Estate Targeted by Two Lawsuits]]> Sat, 11 Feb 2017 18:22:53 -0500 //media.nbcnewyork.com/images/213*120/josefernandezfeuerherd.jpg

Jose Fernandez's estate will be named as the defendant in a pair of negligence and personal injury lawsuits.

When the former ace of the Miami Marlins tragically passed away in September, two other men perished with him. The parents of both men will be the plaintiffs in the lawsuits. Each lawsuit is seeking $2 million in damages from Fernandez's estate. One lawsuit was filed on Friday, and a second will become official on Monday.

Eduardo Rivero and Emilio Jesus Macias were the other men with Fernandez on his boat that evening. Rivero who was 25 and Macias who was 27 had alcohol in their systems at the time of the crash, but were not over the legal limit. Rivero's toxicology report showed cocaine, but Macias' did not. Fernandez however was legally drunk and also had cocaine in his body. Both families are being represented by attorney Christopher Royer.

Fernandez's career was brief, and therefore his earnings were minimal compared to his potential. Estimates of the value of his estate hover around $2.5 million, which would be lower than the demands in the lawsuits combined. A settlement however could be possible and is something Royer mentioned in a statement. 

[[247269581, C]]

“We remain open to a settlement and are hopeful a prompt resolution can be achieved to spare these families, and that of Jose Fernandez too, from any additional suffering,” said Royer.

One of the biggest mysteries surrounding that tragic evening, has been the identity of the boat's driver. Ralph Fernandez, who is representing Fernandez's estate believes Fernandez was not driving the boat. A final report on the accident is still pending. The identity of the driver may be a part of that report. The estate's attorney also questions the use of cocaine by Fernandez.

“There are indications that his cocaine use that night was not voluntary,” Fernandez stated.

In addition to the tragic losses that evening of the three men, Fernandez left behind a pregnant girlfriend. 



Photo Credit: AP, File]]>
<![CDATA[More Patriots Stars Boycott Visit to Trump White House]]> Sat, 11 Feb 2017 09:59:00 -0500 //media.nbcnewyork.com/images/213*120/newenglandpatriotsfeuerherd.jpg

Six New England Patriots players have a message for the Trump White House: We're just not that into you, NBC News reported.

Since the team won an historic fifth Super Bowl with a stunning come-from-behind victory over the Atlanta Falcons in overtime on February 5th, a growing number of players on the team have told the press that they would turn down an invite to commemorate their victory at the White House.

On Thursday, running back LeGarrette Blount and defensive lineman Alan Branch said during separate interviews they would not make the trip. Defensive end Chris Long tweeted the same.

Martellus Bennett, Devin McCourty and Dont’a Hightower had previously said they would not attend.

And while some have not explicitly cited President Donald Trump and his policies as the reason — some have — and the number of players planning to boycott a future photo-op is unprecedented compared to years past.

[[247269581, C]]



Photo Credit: AP]]>
<![CDATA[3 More Patriots Say They'll Skip White House Visit]]> Fri, 10 Feb 2017 22:03:16 -0500 //media.nbcnewyork.com/images/180*120/Chris_Long_Rainbow.jpg

Three more New England Patriots players say they will not visit the White House for a post-Super Bowl visit, bringing the total number of such players to six.

On Thursday, running back LeGarrette Blount and defensive lineman Alan Branch said during separate interviews they would not make the trip. Defensive end Chris Long tweeted the same.

“I just don’t feel welcome into that house,” Blount told Fox Sports Radio. “I’m going to just leave it at that.”  

Martellus Bennett, Devin McCourty and Dont’a Hightower had previously said they would not make the trip.

The Patriots on Sunday became the first major U.S. sports team to win a championship since Donald Trump took the oath of office last month.

Quarterback Tom Brady and head coach Bill Belichick have said they are friends with President Donald Trump. Trump has praised both in public.  



Photo Credit: Getty Images]]>
<![CDATA[Back-to-Back Falls Can't Crush UCLA Cheerleader's Spirit]]> Fri, 10 Feb 2017 13:22:53 -0500 //media.nbcnewyork.com/images/207*120/02-10-2017-ucla-cheerleader-generic.jpg

UCLA's win over Oregon wasn't the only impressive comeback Thursday night at Pauley Pavilion.

A Bruins cheerleader returned to the court during the Pac-12 men's basketball game after taking two frightening spills -- once during a timeout routine, again as she was being carried into the lockerroom.

The first hard fall happened during a timeout, when she slipped from on top of a team member's shoulders at mid-court. A few seconds later, an assistant carrying her slipped on what appeared to be a bag left near the baseline -- both tumbled to the ground in a heap.

The cheerleader was checked out by medical staff and returned to the court for the No. 10 Bruins in their come-from-behind 82-79 win over No. 5 Oregon, according to the UCLA Spirit Squad Twitter account. UCLA was down by 19 in the first half before storming back for a key win in the race for the Pac-12 title. 



Photo Credit: Getty Images, File
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.]]>