Coastal Flood Advisory
422 PM EDT Tue Aug 4 2020
...COASTAL FLOOD ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 AM EDT WEDNESDAY...
...COASTAL FLOOD WARNING IS CANCELLED...
* WHAT...One to locally two feet of inundation above ground level
in vulnerable areas near the waterfront and shoreline.
* WHERE...In Connecticut, Southern Fairfield, Southern New
Haven, Southern Middlesex and Southern New London Counties. In
New York, Southern Westchester County.
* WHEN...Until 2 AM EDT Wednesday.
* COASTAL FLOOD IMPACTS...Minor flooding is possible in the most
vulnerable locations near the waterfront and shoreline. 1 to
locally 2 feet of inundation above ground level is possible in
low lying, vulnerable areas. Some roads and low lying property
including parking lots, parks, lawns and homes/businesses with
basements near the waterfront will experience shallow flooding.
* SHORELINE IMPACTS...Large breaking waves of 10 to 15 ft will
result in considerable erosion of dune structures and
localized overwashes along the ocean beach front. This may
resulting in some flooding of roadways and vulnerable
structures behind protective dunes.
* BEACH IMPACTS...Dangerous swimming and surfing conditions and
localized beach erosion. Life-threatening rip currents are
likely for all people entering the surf zone. Anyone visiting
the beaches should stay out of the surf. Rip currents can
sweep even the best swimmers away from shore into deeper water.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Surge has peaked between the times of high
tide, but with potential for residual surge to remain, a
reasonable worst case scenario of minor coastal flood impacts
has been maintained. If the surge subsides this evening, then
little to no impacts will be experienced.
If travel is required, allow extra time as some roads may be
closed. Do not drive around barricades or through water of
unknown depth. Take the necessary actions to protect flood-prone