Irene Moves Out, Leaves Hundreds of Thousands Without Power Amid Flooding - NBC New York

Irene Moves Out, Leaves Hundreds of Thousands Without Power Amid Flooding

Irene arrived in NYC as a tropical storm



    Forecast: Nice Week, But Post-Irene Flooding a Concern

    Meteorologist Chris Cimino brings you some good news with the seven-day forecast but also talks about the severe flooding concerns that will likely plague the tri-state, particularly New Jersey, throughout the week despite the sunshine. (Published Monday, Aug. 29, 2011)

    Hundreds of thousands of storm-weary tri-staters are still without power and creeks and rivers swollen a day after Irene battered the region with tropical-storm-force winds and flooding rains.

    Irene, which left at least 28 dead in its path of destruction up the East Coast, made landfall just before 9 a.m. Sunday in New York City, arriving first in Coney Island, which was one of the areas under a mandatory evacuation.

    For the most part, New York City was spared the urban nightmare some had worried about -- crippled infrastructure, stranded people and windows blown out of skyscrapers. 

    The New York Stock Exchange said it would be open for business on Monday, and the Sept. 11 memorial at the World Trade Center site didn't lose a single tree.

    The storm surge in Lower Manhattan was not as severe as expected because Irene tracked slightly further east, although flooding temporarily closed the FDR Drive in both directions.

    On Long Island, water rose in the streets and storm drains overflowed, flooding roadways and grass already saturated by this month's rain. Almost 400,000 Long Island Power Authority customers are still without power and may not get power back until Friday

    In the Hudson Valley, more than a foot of rain made roads impassable including the New York State Thruway and flooding forced hundred from their homes.

    At a press conference Monday, Governor Cuomo spoke about the excessive damage in the Catskills and Mid-Hudson region, which he had toured earlier in the day. His Director of State Operation, Howard Glaser, said 400 National Guard troops, 118 State Troopers, and close to 200 trucks and pieces of equipment had been dispatched to the area, to help with cleanup.

    "The amount of damage is devastating," he said. "It will get worse before it gets better."

    Roads and bridges were destroyed when a record amount of rain flooded rivers and streams, and Cuomo said he didn't expect the water to recede soon. Of the six casualties in the state, five were from drowning.

    Cuomo said he felt the state and residents cooperated very well with each other, but that there isn't much the state could have done to prevent the damage.

    "Mother nature wins at the end of the day," he said.

    Despite the state's economic woes, Cuomo also said the state would do what it has to do to make repairs. He felt much of the damage would allow the state to qualify for federal assistance.

    He lauded the work done before, during, and after the storm by both state employees and regular New Yorkers, saying their generosity and hard work helped save lives. 


    • Con Edison said about  28,000 customers across the five boroughs were without power as of 4:00 p.m Monday. Check Con Edison's storm center outage map for the latest. Officials said power was likely to be restored by Tuesday.
    • Central Park is closed to vehicular traffic until further notice to facilitate cleanup.
    • Utility officials shut off 10 miles of steam lines in Lower Manhattan, fearing cold water flooding could burst hot lines. Mayor Bloomberg said affected buildings, which include offices, apartments and hotels, should have service back by Tuesday.
    • Kennedy and Newark airports opened for arrival at 6 a.m. Departures will resume at noon. LaGuardia opened to both arrivals and departures at 7 a.m.
    • Central Park clocked a wind gust of 60 mph and nearly 6.7 inches of rain, and LaGuardia Airport measured a gust of 67 mph. More than 400 trees were down around the city.
    • The city's highest rainfall was 6.8 inches in Gravesend, Brooklyn.
    • In Queens, an unoccupied summer home on a Broad Channel pier collapsed into the water. No one was hurt.
    • Firefighters rescued 63 people from flooded homes.


    • Irene first made landfall in the tri-state Sunday morning in Little Egg Inlet with winds of 75 mph.
    • PATH trains reopened Monday at 4 a.m. with full rush-hour service.
    • New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission offices will re-open at noon Monday.
    • Newark Airport opened to arriving flights at 6 a.m. Departures resume at noon.
    • About 712,000 customers remained without power at 6 a.m. Monday. Nearly half of them are Jersey Central Power and Light customers in central New Jersey. PSE&G has about 205,000 customers without power and Atlantic City Electric says it has 67,039 outages. Heavy flooding and debris from downed trees are hampering restoration efforts, meaning customers could be without electricity for days.
    • New Jersey's highest rainfall as of Sunday night was 10.2 inches, recorded in Wayne.
    • Atlantic City casinos reopen at 12 p.m. Whether gamblers will be able to get there today is another matter. Many New Jersey highways, including a portion of the Garden State Parkway, remain blocked by flooding or downed trees.
    • The Oyster Creek Nuclear Generating Station in Lacey Township was shut down. The plant, the nation's oldest, is a few miles from the Jersey Coast.


    • Suffolk County recorded gusts of 71 mph in East Moriches, N.Y., and 6.8 inches of rain in Northport.
    • The Long Island Power Authority reported 398,097 power outages as of 12:45 pm Monday.  Power may not be restored until Friday.  Thirty nursing homes and hospitals are still without power.
    • More than 5 inches of rain was reported in Wantagh by Sunday night.
    • Nassau County reported numerous downed trees and power lines, creating possible dangerous situations. LIPA said they are dealing with the most number of power outages since Hurricane Gloria hit in 1985.


    • More than half of the residents of Connecticut were without power Monday, with some restored by 4:00 p.m. Connecticut Light & Power reported 560,000 customers without power, and United Illuminating says 112,796 have outages.
    • Gov. Dannel Malloy said 2,000 telephone poles were damaged along with hundreds of cell phone towers.
    • Two homes collapsed Sunday on Fairfield Beach Road in Fairfield, and three more homes in the area have structural damage.
    • One person was killed by a fire in Prospect; officials believe it was caused by downed wires as a result of Irene's high winds.
    • Metro-North experienced widespread flooding, with water above the rails at several stations, including Valhalla on the Harlem line and Cortlandt and Ossining on the Hudson line. The wind felled trees all along the New Haven line, interfering with signal power.
    • One township in Fairfield County had 7.4 inches of rain.
    • Connecticut's hurricane emergency information is here.


    • Yonkers reported 8.2 inches of rain.
    • Nearly 60,000 Con Ed customers remained without power Monday.


    • Utility Orange & Rockland reported 30,000 customers without power in Rockland County and 20,000 customers without power in Orange County Monday. Nearly 20,000 customers were in the dark in Bergen and Sullivan counties, primarily in Bergen.
    • Gov. Andrew Cuomo says all state buildings are in good condition and will be open on Monday. Travel conditions, however, may make it difficult for some employees and the public to get to them. 
    • Parts of the Thruway were closed because of flooding as deep as 3 to 4 feet of water. About 28 miles are closed in both directions from the Tappan Zee Bridge north to Exit 16 (Woodbury) due to flooding. Visit for updates.

    Stay with NBC New York on Twitter @NBCNewYork and Facebook/NBCNewYork.