There's been a lot of talk recently about the rise of sandwich and pizza shops, but we can't forget a foodstuff that goes hand in hand with those wallet-friendly items: the burger.
Burgers in all varieties of shapes, sizes, price points, and degrees of deliciousness have been widely available in Manhattan since the big burger boom of '04. But it was not until recently that every single restaurant opening in New York decided to put a $16 patty on the menu.
We get that the burger is a a go-to comfort food, that it's a good way to snag the people who don't want to shell out for a $20 entree. But a burger better be incredibly delicious to merit that high of a price tag. As the phenomenon spreads, here's just a sampling of some pricey meat patties, both old and new. Feel free to send in more and we'll update the list.
— Compiled by Stephanie Butler
1) Dylan Prime Restaurant, 62 Laight St, New York, NY
2) Union Square Cafe, 21 E 16th St., New York, NY
3) Mercer Kitchen, 99 Prince St., New York, NY
4) Kingswood, 121 W 10th St., New York, NY
5) Houston's Restaurant, 378 Park Avenue S., New York, NY
6) Hundred Acres, 38 Macdougal St. New York, NY
7) West Branch, 2178 Broadway, New York, NY
8) Almond Restaurant, 12 E 22nd St. New York, NY
9) 508 Restaurant & Bar, 508 Greenwich St., New York, NY
10) Parlor Steakhouse, 1600 3rd Ave., New York, NY
11) James, 605 Carlton Ave., Brooklyn, NY
12) Napkin Burger, 630 9th Ave., New York, NY
13) Balthazar Restaurant, 80 Spring St., New York, NY
14) Irving Mill, 116 E 16th St. #1, New York, NY
15) Bobo, 181 W 10th St., New York, NY
16) Telepan, 72 W 69th St., New York, NY
17) Minetta Tavern, 113 Macdougal St., New York, NY
18) Elizabeth Restaurant, 265 Elizabeth St., New York, NY
19) Market Table, 54 Carmine St., New York, NY