When you get right down to it, the greatest inventions succeed because they do one thing really well. Like a teapot, which has only one job: To pour tea. Anything else is off-message, superfluous, or feature creep.
UpsideDownDogs.com is one such invention. It's a website about exactly one thing: pictures of dogs upside down. Why this is awesome:
- An upside down dog looks nothing like a dog right side up. In some cases, you can barely tell it's a dog.
- The hilarity quotient of an upside-down dog is exactly proportionate to the amount of jowl on the animal. Upside-down collies are kind of meh; but an upside-down boxer or English bulldog is basically a pile of floppy dog jowl stacked on a chin with a nose under it, or winging off the sides like Sally Field's hat in The Flying Nun, and thus 600 percent more fantastic.
- It levels the canine playing field. Right-side up, trendy breeds like chihuahuas and bichonpoos get all the attention. But upside down, a mean-looking thing like a bull mastiff looks so effing adorable, you want to cuddle it to death.
- It reminds us that gravity rules everything.
- It's just dogs. Not lizards, not gerbils, not baby deer, and for the love of all things holy, not cats, which - generally speaking - look pretty much the same when they're upside down. (Before you cat types get all ornery in the comments, we're not saying cats are not cute, we're saying that a cat upside down is not funny. There's a difference.)
- Someone took the time to register the URL and upload the first picture. It warms the cockles.