5 Signs of an Unhealthy Relationship:
1. Calls/texts/Instant Messages you constantly and/or checks your email.
2. Embarrasses or insults you in front of others.
3. Acts jealously and does not want you to spend time with others.
4. Consistently criticizes your friends, clothes or interests.
5. Threatens to commit suicide and/or hurt you if you breakup.
5 Signs of a Healthy Relationship:
1. Treats you as an equal and respects you.
2. Asks your opinion and is comfortable with you having a different opinion from him/her.
3. Apologizes when he/she is wrong and accepts your apology when you are wrong.
4. Does not feel threatened by your friendships with people of either sex.
5. Encourages you in your goals and dreams.
Source: NYC Mayor's Office to Combat Domestic Violence
If you or someone you know is a victim of violence, please call 311 or New York City's Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-621-HOPE. In an emergency call 911.
The New York City Healthy Relationship Training Academy, an initiative of the Mayor's Office to Combat Domestic Violence, offers free workshops to young people about dating violence and how to have healthy relationships. To request a workshop at your organization, please go to www.nyc.gov/domesticviolence