Confusion over possible overdose at Isiah Thomas' home

New York, NY (Sports Network) - Police were reportedly sent to the home of former New York Knicks head coach and president Isiah Thomas early Friday morning in response to a call that someone had overdosed on sleeping pills.

The New York Post reported on Friday that Thomas was the person who overdosed, citing authorities, and that Thomas was the one rushed to White Plains Hospital for treatment, as confirmed by Harrison police.

But in the same report, the Post stated it reached Thomas by cell phone. He denied the claims and said his daughter, Lauren, had the issue and that it "wasn't an overdose."

Thomas' son, Joshua, apparently confirmed Isiah's claim by telling the New York Daily News it was his sister Lauren, who suffers from hypoglycemia, that was unwell.

However, according to a New York Times story, Harrison Police Chief David Hall confirmed it was the 47-year-old Isiah Thomas who was taken from his home, not his daughter.

"I understand that this person claims it was his daughter; he is lying," Hall told the Times. "It was definitely not his daughter, it was a male. We know the difference between a 47-year-old black male and a young black female."

Hall added that the man was unconscious when officers came to the home, and they administered oxygen. Hall tabbed it as an accidental overdose, but told the Times, "We aren't mind readers, so we don't know why he did it."

Regardless, the Knicks released a statement on Friday evening that confirmed Thomas is alive and well.

"Isiah Thomas spoke with members of the New York Knicks organization and is OK. He is dealing with a family matter, and we will have no further comment. He has asked that we respect his privacy, and we will," said the club.

Thomas was fired by the Knicks on April 18 by new president Donnie Walsh, ending his disastrous two-year tenure as head coach. The Knicks went 23-59 last season, giving Thomas a record of 56-108 in his two years after replacing Larry Brown.

Walsh, who took over as president on April 2, kept Thomas in the organization as a consultant.

The Knicks made the playoffs just once with Thomas running the basketball operations, losing to New Jersey in a first-round sweep in 2004.

Following the tumultuous 2005-06 season with Brown, Thomas took over the head coaching duties in 2006-07. Thomas' tenure with the Knicks was also marred by the sexual harassment lawsuit filed by former team executive Anucha Browne Sanders.

A Hall of Fame player with the Detroit Pistons, Thomas also spent three years as coach of the Pacers and has a five-year record of 187-223.

Copyright SPNET - The Sports Network
Contact Us