NBA Essentials provides the must-see links, quotes and videos of the day. Want to submit an item? Hit us up on Twitter (@NBAFanHouse, #essentials).
* "During a recent trip to Toronto earlier this month, Matt Bonner talked with the media about how the combination of his grandfather - a 'Newfie' as he affectionately referred to him - and his wife being from Canada has led him to feel a strong connection to this country. Bonner also recently discovered that he has some cousins who are Canadian. Because of these factors Bonner has decided to file the necessary paperwork to gain his Canadian citizenship. Not only that, but he's also expressed a strong desire to play the Canadian national team." -- Hoops Addict.
* Kevin Durant says it will be a travesty if Russell Westbrook doesn't win Rookie of the Year. -- ksmoove35's Twitter.
* Nate Robinson retires from the dunk contest. -- Ball Don't Lie.
* "Things evolve. Right now, basketball statistics are evolving. There's nothing anybody can do to stop it, and out of all this, in the not-too distant future, will be arriving some essential and lasting new developments in how we see the game. Go ahead, dip your toe in." -- TrueHoop.
* "If the NBA was smart, they would do something to keep our talent here in America. Give these guys an opportunity. It's not like they don't deserve it. They work their butt's off through college, go undrafted, end up in locale's like the Rio Grande Valley, a place called Erie and, soon enough, the second most popular city named Portland in the United States. From their, they take seven day road trips like Fort Wayne is about to embark on: Los Angeles to Anaheim to Reno to Bakersfield to Austin. While going to five different cities in seven days, they stay two to a room at Days Inn's, bussing to half their destinations, all while trying to impress some NBA general manager, who might be in attendance or watching on futurecast, possibly looking for a certain talent they possess, making about $17,000 for the season." -- Ridiculous Upside.