Errol Spence Jr. Released From Hospital, Charged With DWI - NBC New York

Errol Spence Jr. Released From Hospital, Charged With DWI

Spence, the IBF and WBC welterweight champion, was not wearing a seat belt, according to police

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Raw Video: Errol Spence Jr. Crashes Ferrari in Dallas

    World welterweight champion boxer Errol Spence Junior is hospitalized in serious condition after being ejected from a Ferrari near downtown Dallas, police say. (Published Thursday, Oct. 10, 2019)

    Champion boxer Errol Spence Jr. has been released from the hospital and is now facing a DWI charge, Dallas police say.

    Spence, 29, was driving a Ferrari at a "high rate of speed" along South Riverfront Boulevard when he lost control of the vehicle and crashed shortly before 3 a.m. on Oct. 10, police said. The Ferrari veered left over the median and onto the southbound lanes, which sent the vehicle flipping multiple times, police said.

    Spence, the IBF and WBC welterweight champion, was not wearing a seat belt, according to police.

    He was taken by paramedics to Methodist Dallas Medical Center with injuries that were considered serious, but not life-threatening, police said.

    Frederic J. Brown/AFP via Getty Images

    Dallas police said they would not get an official speed of how fast Spence was driving at the time of the crash, since it was a single vehicle collision and there were no other criminal charges.

    Last month, the former U.S. Olympian added the WBC welterweight title to his IBF strap with a thrilling split-decision victory over Shawn Porter in Los Angeles.

    With his rangy athleticism and virtuosic skill, Spence, who is 26-0 with 21 knockouts, has captured fans with a series of crisp victories in recent years. He won the IBF title in 2017 by stopping Kell Brook in England, and he defended it three times, culminating in a one-sided thrashing of undersized Mikey Garcia in March.

    2 Students Killed, Several Hurt in Calif. High School Shooting

    [NATL] 2 Students Killed, Several Hurt in Calif. High School Shooting

    Police and firefighters responded to a shooting at a high school north of Los Angeles. Two students, a 16-year-old female and a 14-year-old male, died, and at least three others are hospitalized. The suspected gunman, also a student at the school, was also hospitalized and was in “grave condition,” officials said.

    (Published Thursday, Nov. 14, 2019)