Read this and you'll look smart. You don't have to be intelligent to impress people -- you just have to fake it. Here's a daily list of fascinating articles that will wow your friends, surprise your co-workers and make you seem sharp at a cocktail party or over the lunch counter....
- The economic downturn has slowed the market for recycled materials considerably in the U.S. Tons of junk has been accumulating in yards across the country as the materials -- typically turned into car parts or boxes for electronics -- go unwanted.
- The French government is backing the first-ever objective analysis of the likes and dislikes of diners. Among the formulas being sought is how to make kids eat vegetables.
- Nintendo plans to make literary classics available on its portable consoles. Nintendo will initially offer "100 Classic Books" such as selections from Shakespeare, Dickens and the Brontes.
- A new study indicates that extreme chemical reactions ignited by meteorite impacts on earth may have initiated life in young oceans rather than providing pre-formed building blocks. The impact of the meteorites could have created a "chemical pressure cooker."
- Scientific research indicates that dogs are able to have complex emotions such as jealousy and pride and do not like seeing their owners offering affection toward other dogs.
- Nascar sponsors typically pay $18 million to $20 million to have their main logo on a driver's car for all 38 races. But, of the 42 full-time drivers, 12 do not have primary sponsors. Last year, Nascar added $150 million in sponsorship. This year it isn't anticipating increased revenue.