Gov. Rod Blagojevich has given the state a plethora of entertaining moments in his six years in office, perhaps none as memorable as his 2005 claim to have the “testicular virility” to do the job or his 2007 statement after losing a vote on his cherished tax plan in the House by a vote of 107-0 that “Today, I think, was basically an up . . . I feel good about it."
Hard to top, true, but our fair governor gave it his best shot in 2008. Let’s count down our favorite Blagoisms and Blagtoids of the year. Feel free to take a drink every time you can’t believe he said or did that.
U.S. & World
“I’m not following the trial,” he claimed.
9. “Is this a joke?” Blago asked the other man on the phone at 6 a.m. one recent morning when informed he was about to be arrested. The other man was the head of Chicago’s FBI bureau. It wasn’t a joke.
8. “Gov. Blagojevich says it's 'stupid' to ask if he's concerned that he could be the next target of a political corruption investigation by federal authorities," AP reported.
And he was right – of course he was concerned!
7.Rodnocchio. Coined, we believe, by state Rep. John Fritchey (D-Chicago).
6. "I didn't become a Democrat because some Chicago boss knocked on my door and offered me a job."
Nope. He married the boss’s daughter instead!
5. Blagogate, Blagerloo, Pay-Rod, Blagola, Blagobait, Blagojelooza.
2. Blago says that "if what he's done as Illinois governor is an impeachable offense, he's living on the 'wrong planet' and is in the wrong place'."
Because, um, you’re supposed to be able to do this sort of thing in Illinois? Or because you are actually an alien who just figured out you took a wrong turn at Alpha Centauri?
1. The world seriously wonders if our governor is insane.