Toronto Police Say Hijab-Cutting Incident Didn't Happen - NBC New York
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Toronto Police Say Hijab-Cutting Incident Didn't Happen

A sixth grader had claimed that a man came up behind her while she was walking home from school and cut the bottom of her hijab

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Toronto Police Say Hijab-Cutting Incident Didn't Happen
    Toronto Star via Getty Images
    Khawlah Noman claims her hijab was cut off of her by an adult man while on her way to school in Toronto on Jan. 12, 2018.

    Toronto police are disputing an 11-year-old girl's claim that her hijab was cut by a scissors-wielding man as she walked to school last week.

    Toronto Police spokesman Mark Pugash said Monday an extensive investigation was conducted and police concluded it did not happen.

    The sixth-grader, her mother and her younger brother held a news conference at her school on Friday and Khawlah Noman said she was walking to school with her younger brother when a man came up behind her, pulled off her jacket hood and started cutting the bottom of her hijab. She said she turned around, screamed and the man ran away. She also said the man returned a short time later and continued to cut her hijab from behind before he smiled and ran away.

    Her mother called on police to treat it as a hate crime.

    Colorado Man Charged With Five Counts of Murder in Deaths of Wife and Daughters

    [NATL] Colorado Man Charged With Five Counts of Murder in Deaths of Wife and Daughters

    Christopher Lee Watts was charged with five counts of murder Monday for the deaths of his wife Shanann Watts and their two daughters Bella and Celeste. Watts had initially pleaded publicly that his wife and daughters had gone missing. Their bodies were discovered on the property of the oil and natural gas company Watts worked for. The D.A. said that it's "too early" to discuss whether prosecutors would seek the death penalty.

    (Published Monday, Aug. 20, 2018)

    The story made international headlines and drew public condemnation from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

    "It's something that received, quite understandably, a lot of media and social media attention and I know it caused significant concern, as it should," Pugash said. 

    Pugash declined to say whether the girl acknowledged it didn't happen. He said police wouldn't take a step like this unless they were absolutely confident.

    "It is absolutely unusual," Pugash said.

    Ryan Bird, a spokesman for the Toronto District School Board, said officials are "very thankful" that the alleged assault did not in fact happen.

    The school declined further comment.

    Father, Son Escape Raging Wildfire at Glacier National Park

    [NATL] Father, Son Escape Raging Wildfire at Glacier National Park

    The campers had to drive through the Howe Ridge Fire after it quickly expanded.

    (Published Monday, Aug. 20, 2018)