7 Quarantined in Ohio Over Contact With Nurse Before Ebola Diagnosis - NBC New York
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

7 Quarantined in Ohio Over Contact With Nurse Before Ebola Diagnosis



    Meeting Veterans’ Special Needs in Hospice
    29-year-old Amber Vinson became the second nurse from Texas Health Presbyterian diagnosed with Ebola after caring for Thomas Eric Duncan who died from the virus on Oct. 8 in Dallas.

    Health officials in Summit County, Ohio, said Thursday they are still trying to determine how many people might have been affected while Dallas nurse Amber Joy Vinson, was visiting family before testing positive for the Ebola virus.

    Vinson, 29, flew on Frontier Airlines Flight 1143 Monday before she was diagnosed with the virus Wednesday.

    Ohio's Summit County Health Commissioner Gene Nixon said Vinson spent most of her time at home, but said that she did visit one retail establishment and a few friends.

    "She's conscientious and aware of what she'd been through," he said.

    Summit County Public Health Medical Director Margo Erme said officials are currently monitoring seven people who had some contact with Vinson. She said the seven contacts are under voluntary quarantine and will be contacted daily.

    "We're actually at the house because we have to monitor their temperatures at least once per day," she said.

    Vinson's mother is in voluntary quarantine in Dallas and has no symptoms, according to officials. She has been in Dallas since Oct. 14.

    Vinson's friend Falisha Lee told NBC's Tracy Connor via Facebook message that she's saddened by the way Vinson is being portrayed since her diagnosis.

    "As a fellow nurse, I will say that I believe that she followed the precautionary processes known to her as any prudent nurse would have done," she said.

    Erme seconded Lee's sentiment and credited Vinson, Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital and Dallas officials for taking CDC protocol "very seriously" during her visit.

    "She seemed to limit her activity here, which I'm very grateful for," Erme said.