The tearful mother of a man who authorities said bought some of the guns used in the deadly San Bernardino massacre earlier this month told reporters Thursdsay her son is a "good person."
Armida Chacon spoke with reporters outside her home in Riverside, California, as she cleaned up damage from a weekend FBI raid.
"I only want to say that I’m going through something difficult — understand? — this young man is my son. I only want you to understand he’s my son," she said, distraught. "I’ve been under a lot of pressure, depressed, and stressed. I don’t know how to handle this situation."
Federal officials told NBC News two assault rifles used in the Dec. 2 attack were originally bought by Chacon's son, 24-year-old Enrique Marquez, in 2011 and 2012.
Authorities said San Bernardino gunman Syed Rizwan Farook may have first discussed staging an attack in 2012 with Marquez, to whom he was related through marriage.
Marquez hasn't been charged with a crime, and FBI officials said earlier this week Marquez is not considered a suspect in the San Bernardino shooting. Authorities said he has been cooperating with investigators.
"He's a good person," his mother said.
Chacon said Thursday she hasn't seen her son since Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Mailk, killed 14 people and injured 21 others during a holiday party at the Inland Regional Center.
"They were only my next-door neighbors," Chacon said of the Farook family. "How was I supposed to know what they were doing? I couldn’t find out what was going on. I had to work to support two other kids. This has been difficult for me."
She said Marquez is a good person who helped her with his brothers.
Chacon said her "world is upside-down." The Los Angeles Times reports that she cried throughout the 10 minutes she talked to reporters, saying, "I want this to stop," before returning to the house.