Just Six Cars: Ferrari Sells Out of New "Sergio" - NBC New York
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Just Six Cars: Ferrari Sells Out of New "Sergio"

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Meeting Veterans’ Special Needs in Hospice
    Pininfarina
    Ferrari Sergio

    Ferrari is rolling out a new car, but only a few people will be able to own one.

    The luxury automaker is creating only six models of Ferrari Sergio. Designed in partnership with Italian firm Pininfarina, the car is expected to cost several million each (the price hasn’t been disclosed).

    But if you thought you could be one of the six lucky owners, it’s probably too late. Ferrari has already pre-sold all Sergio cars, according to CNBC. Only long-standing Ferrari clients got the invites to purchase the limited sports car. Their names have not been reveled.

    A spokesperson from the automaker told CNBC the production on new models will start "shortly” with deliveries expected next year.

    The Sergio is modeled on the Ferrari's 458 Spider mechanical base and technologic components. The doors rise up and the car can accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in less than 3.4 seconds, the company said. It's named in honor of Sergio Pininfarina, an Italian automobile designer who died in 2012.

    The car made its debut at the 2013 Geneva Motor show as a concept, with no windshield or mirrors. The design will be tweaked to comply with road laws.

    Ferrari, which is owned by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, has built a world-class brand by limiting the number of vehicles it produces to 7,000 per year, making its cars all the more desirable.

    Fiat Chrysler Automobiles announced Wednesday it plans to spin off Ferrari into a separate entity and sell 10 percent of Ferrari's shares in a public offering in the United States and Europe, The Associated Press reported. The remaining 90 percent will be distributed to its own shareholders.

    The company said the move was part of a plan to raise capital to support the new merged carmakers' growth plans, according to the AP.