Defense Department to Make 'Condolence Payments' to Afghan Hospital - NBC New York
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Defense Department to Make 'Condolence Payments' to Afghan Hospital

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Defense Department to Make 'Condolence Payments' to Afghan Hospital
    AP
    In this Saturday, Oct. 3, 2015 file photo, injured Doctors Without Borders staff are seen near their hospital after it was hit by a U.S. airstrike. The attack, which killed a number of hospital staff and patients, was intended to back up Afghan forces fighting to dislodge Taliban insurgents who overran the strategic city earlier in the week.

    The U.S. Department of Defense will make "condolence payments" to the victims' families and survivors of airstikes that struck a Doctors Without Borders hospital in Afghanistan, Pentagon spokesperson Peter Cook said in a statement.

    "The Department of Defense believes it is important to address the consequences of the tragic incident at the Doctors Without Borders hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan," Cook's statement said.

    At least 12 staff members and ten patients, including three children, were killed at the charity hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan, on Oct. 3, Doctors Without Borders said. 

    The Defense Department said it would work with victims to determine the amount of compensation.