Mass. Rape Suspect Captured After Crashing Car in NY - NBC New York
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Mass. Rape Suspect Captured After Crashing Car in NY

A Massachusetts man wanted for child rape and other charges, who was accused in half a dozen sexual assaults since police said he fled last month, was arrested in New York



    Child Rape Suspect Arrested After Crash Into River

    Gregory Lewis of Southbridge, Massachusetts, was arrested after he crashed his car into a New York river Tuesday. (Published Wednesday, Oct. 29, 2014)

    A Massachusetts man accused of fleeing child rape charges and going on a nationwide crime spree that authorities say included at least six sexual assaults was apprehended Tuesday after crashing a car into a New York river.

    Gregory Lewis of Southbridge was arrested shortly before midnight Tuesday in the village of Fort Edward.

    Police say a New York State Police trooper observed Lewis driving with a missing license plate. When the officer attempted to stop the vehicle, Lewis fled.

    Police received calls that Lewis crashed his vehicle into a river, emerged from the river and pulled a gun on a witness to the crash. Police arrived on scene and took Lewis into custody.

    A firearm recovered from Lewis matches the description of one he’s accused of stealing from a family member in September.

    Lewis was initially arrested in Massachusetts back in August for statutory rape of a child under 14, ordered to stay under house arrest.

    Since cutting his GPS ankle bracelet and fleeing the state on Sept. 15, police say, Lewis is suspected of committing six or more sexual assaults in different states.

    Ten days after he allegedly fled, police say Lewis returned to Massachusetts, broke into his stepfather's home, tied him up and stole a gun.

    Police in Denver announced earlier Sunday that Lewis was wanted in Colorado for sexual assault, kidnapping and aggravated robbery.

    Officials in North Carolina said they believe Lewis kidnapped, robbed and assaulted a woman in Charlotte on Sept. 23.

    Lewis is believed to have been in Denver earlier this month. Police say he was in Portland, Oregon, around Oct. 13. The next day, officials say he was in Boise, Idaho. On Oct. 17, according to police, he was in Salt Lake City, Utah.

    He was held without bail at the Washington County jail in New York and arraigned in that county. Massachusetts State Police said he is expected to be in New York at least until Friday.

    The investigation into his other alleged crimes is continuing.