If you're looking for the best place to watch fireworks this year, you won't run out of options.
The "Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular" will once again return to the East River, making for great viewing spots across three of New York City's five boroughs. But there will also be some pretty great displays in other parts of the city and throughout the tri-state.
Despite all the options, revelers will face crowds as tens of thousands look to the skies. Here are some of the area's best places to see various fireworks displays:
- Grand Ferry Park, Williamsburg: The waterfront park in Williamsburg may be a little far away from the top viewing locations for the Macy's fireworks, but you should still be able to see them from a distance away from the crowds.
- FDR Drive: How often can you say you got to walk on the FDR? Public viewing will be set up along elevated portions of the FDR Drive. The lanes will be opened to the public around 7 p.m. with access at Houston, 23rd, 34th and 42nd streets.
- East River Park, Lower East Side: The large park should be another great place to see the display.
- Gantry Plaza State Park, Long Island City: One of the few places in Queens to catch the fireworks, so get there early.
- Hoboken, Weehawken and other towns: Get away from the New York City crowds, and still catch some great displays.