Party planning has just gotten easier for Wegmans customers.
The supermarket chain said Thursday it has launched an online cake order function through which patrons can customize, order and pay for their deliciousness rather than have to do it all in person. Orders have to be made at least 24 hours in advance, and pickup is available at all Wegmans stores.
- Cake type and size: Celebration cakes and cookie cakes are both offered in quarter, half, and full sheets. Celebration cakes are also available in round one- and two-layer 7-inch sizes.
- Flavor: Choose chocolate or vanilla, or a combination of the two.
- Frosting: Choose whipped cream or buttercreme, made without any artificial colors.
- Filling: There are nine delicious flavors to choose from, like raspberry, chocolate ganache, or fresh fruit.
- Decorations and messages: Add edible balloons or roses and a custom message. An image can also be uploaded on all sheet cake sizes.
Cupcakes, specialty themes, character kits and Wegmans Ultimate Cakes are not available for online order at this time.
Wegmans currently operates 46 stores in upstate New York and another 46 in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland and Massachusetts. In March, the grocery chain announced opening dates for two new New Jersey stores -- July 23 in Hanover and Sept. 24 in Montvale -- and plans to open its first New York City location in Brooklyn next year. No date has been set for that one.