United States

Staten Island Dad Accused of Killing Girlfriend, Drowning 2 Sons Before Lighting House on Fire Wore Their Faces to Court: Report

What to Know

  • Member of U.S. Air National Guard, accused of drowning his two children and killing their mother, was arraigned on murder charges, DA says
  • Richmond County District Attorney Michael E. McMahon announced Wednesday that Shane Walker was arraigned on a superseding indictment
  • The 37-year-old Staten Island mother was found dead along with her two toddler sons in their smoke-filled home on June 23

The Staten Island father accused of killing his wife and their two sons earlier this year pleaded not guilty on Wednesday as more disturbing details in the case was unveiled.

The previously sealed indictment allege that Shane Walker, 36, stabbed Alla Ausheva twice in her neck before he strangled her to death on June 21. Walker also allegedly drowned his two sons, 3-year-old Elia and 2-year-old Ivan, before setting the home on Palisade Street in Arrochar on fire.

Walker, a member of the U.S. Air National Guard, wore his sons and Ausheva's faces and names on his white button downs to court as onlookers stared in disbelief, The Staten Island Advance reported.

Richmond County District Attorney Michael E. McMahon said Walker is now charged with multiple counts of murder, manslaughter, arson, aggravated criminal contempt, criminal contempt, and criminal possession of a weapon. He is also charged with multiple counts of assault for a separate incident in which he allegedly caused physical injury to NYPD officers while being transported to a court arraignment.

Walker reportedly was being transported from a police precinct June 24 to the Staten Island Court for his arraignment when he slammed a detective against the rear door of the vehicle several times, prosecutors say. Walker also allegedly headbutted an NYPD lieutenant when the lieutenant tried to restrain him. Both officers were injured, according to prosecutors.

Defense lawyer Eric Nelson pleaded not guilty on Walker's behalf, SILive reported, but he did not provide other comments.

Walker previously denied drowning his two sons, according to the paper's report, but admitted to strangling Ausheva and setting the Staten Island home ablaze. After he filled the home with smoke, law enforcement found Walker walking along the Verrazzano Bridge and took him into custody.

Ausheva, 37, was also a U.S. military member who moved to the city from Russia -- and became an American citizen during a 2012 ceremony at the White House.

According to The New York Times, Ausheva had an order of protection against Walker but it was no longer in effect. Her death culminates a true American dream story that ended, perhaps, before she was able to fully realize it.

Ausheva moved to Queens from St. Petersburg in 2011 and soon joined the New York Army National Guard. In 2014, she transferred to the Air National Guard. She was serving full time on active duty with a homeland security force based at Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn, according to a military spokeswoman.

Walker is expected back in court on Dec. 3, according to SILive.

Contact Us