Manhattan Courthouse Partially Evacuated Over Electrical Fire in Basement

At least three floors of the courthouse on Centre Street in Manhattan were evacuated Friday because an electrical fire in a sub-basement was generating high levels of carbon monoxide, fire officials say.

Fire officials got a call about the fire shortly after 12:15 p.m.; 70 firefighters responded and it was under control within 40 minutes.

The basement through second floor was evacuated as a precaution, but the elevated carbon monoxide levels began to ebb once the fire was contained.

No injuries were reported. 

The heavy emergency presence prompted traffic delays near White Street.

Contact Us