New York

Your Dog Ate Your…What? New York Has Some of the Most Cases of Dogs Eating Underwear, Marijuana

Keep your marijuana and unmentionables out of your dog's sight. New York is among the top three states when it comes to dogs eating these items, according to a new study.

The study by JustAnswer, a question and answer platform for dog owners, reviewed thousands of questions the site received from January 2015 to August 2017 and identified trends concerning the potentially toxic items dogs are ingesting.

The study found a 42 percent increase in “My dog ate” questions on the site from 2016 to 2017.

The majority of questions concerned dogs swallowing pharmaceuticals. The second largest category included questions about dogs eating dead animals and bones. Another eighteen percent of questions mentioned dogs feasting on onions, chocolate, grapes and raisins.

It may seem like underwear and marijuana are among the stranger things dogs are chowing down on, but some of the questions also suggested dogs were chowing down on spiders, contact lenses, gum, diapers, even a guitar pick and rectal cream.

The most dangerous item for dogs to consume is human medication, according to the survey. Pills that are accessible can be quickly consumed by a dog. Even a small dosage of pain medication can cause severe health damage and potential poisoning.

Foods that are unsafe for dog consumption include chocolate, grapes, raisins, alcohol, nuts, onions, eggs and salty snacks.

Keeping toxic medication, food and household items securely closed and out of reach is the most effective way to avoid accidents. If a dog consumes a dangerous item, the survey advises the pet owner to call their veterinarian immediately.

Contact Us