Rescue crews have ended their water search for a missing swimmer off Sandy Hook and reclassified their operation as a recovery, officials say.
Gateway National Recreation Area spokeswoman Daphne Yun said marine divers and aviation units ended their search for the missing 25-year-old swimmer Thursday afternoon. Crews will continue to search for the man from the shore, and Monmouth County will perform periodic flyovers.
The missing swimmer was seen in distress in the water around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday. Rescue teams searched the waters for hours before suspending the search for the night, then resumed in the morning.
Yun says there had been two groups of swimmers in the water without the supervision of lifeguards. Guards are on duty from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.