New York

Husband Dies, Wife Hospitalized in Apparent Carbon Monoxide Incident on Long Island: Police

What to Know

  • An NY husband is dead, his wife hospitalized in an apparent case of carbon monoxide poisoning
  • Cops were called to the home on Scott Drive in Melville early Thursday after getting a report the couple was sick
  • 55-year-old Stephen Yancofski was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead; his wife remains hospitalized

Homicide detectives are investigating the death of a man in a Suffolk County residence due to apparent carbon monoxide poisoning, police say.

Cops were called to the residence on Scott Drive in Melville, Long Island, around 8:30 a.m. Thursday for a report a couple feeling ill.

Stephen Yancofski, 55, a resident at the home, was pronounced dead at Plainview Hospital. His wife, Kyriaki Bouziotas, 59, was taken to a hospital. 

It is suspected that the carbon monoxide was coming from a detached fitting on a heating exhaust vent inside their home, police say.

Contact Us