Doctors and officials on Long Island warned parents to be on the lookout for children attempting to participate in a dangerous YouTube "fire challenge" after a 12-year-old Queens boy set himself on fire.
County officials and doctors at Nassau University Medical Center said that the "fire challenge" has been around for years and that last week's incident wasn't the first time someone had been hurt participating.
"Our message is very short and succinct," said Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano. "Do not set yourself on fire."
Doctors at the hospital said that the boy remained in critical condition after the incident on May 24. That's when authorities said he doused himself with rubbing alcohol and set himself ablaze with a lighter.
After setting himself on fire he ran out of the home and was extinguished by his neighbor, according to the NYPD.
He remained in critical condition Tuesday with second- and third-degree burns to nearly half of his body.
"(He has burns to) both of his harms, both of his hands, his chest, his abdomen, his neck," said Dr. Louis Riina.