Mom Shot By Cops, Daughter Dead in Domestic ‘Tragedy:' Police

What to Know

  • Police shot and wounded a mother they said attacked them with a knife in a home in Mamaroneck on Saturday afternoon
  • The officers shot the woman after finding a 2 1/2-year-old who was later pronounced dead; the extent of the child's injuries weren't clear
  • The department said the officers "acted within departmental guidelines and training" during the call

UPDATE: Dead Toddler Was Supposed to Be Removed From Mother's Care, Lawyer Says

Police shot and wounded a knife-wielding mother in a domestic call that also ended with the death of the woman's 2 1/2-year-old daughter, according to authorities in Westchester County.

It's not clear what led to the death of the child, who police found in need of medical attention while responding to a call on Chestnut Avenue in Mamaroneck about 1:30 p.m. Saturday, according to village police.

"I would call this a tragedy," said Sgt. Sandra DiRuzza of the Village of Mamaroneck Police Department.

Police in the village said officers responding to the 911 call at the home administered aid to the child and called an ambulance before shooting the mother, who they said disobeyed orders to show her hands before attacking them with a knife. 

Authorities said the officers attempted to subdue her with a stun gun. When that effort proved unsuccessful, one of them opened fire. 

A law enforcement source told News 4 earlier Saturday that the girl had been in cardiac arrest when she was taken to the hospital; police later said she was pronounced dead. Medical examiners will perform an autopsy to determine how she died.

The girl's mother was also taken to the hospital. Her condition was not made available. 

Village police said the mother injured two of the officers, and two others were taken to the hospital for evaluation. All four are expected to survive their injuries. 

Village police said in a statement that the officers "acted within departmental guidelines and training" and that it appears to be an isolated incident. 

No charges have been announced in the case. 

Contact Us