School Bus Strike Survival Guide

How to safely get your kids to school and get reimbursed for any costs

Not all students will be affected by the school bus strike that began Wednesday morning. Check this website to see if your child's routine will be changed.

If your route is affected, city officials want you to know the following:

  • All students who currently receive yellow bus service are eligible to receive a MetroCard. Parents should request a MetroCard from the main office of their child's school. 
  • Parents of pre-school and special education children requiring transportation from their home directly to their school, as well as parents of general education children in grades K through 2, may also request a MetroCard for the parent or guardian to act as the child’s escort to school.
  • Parents who drive their children to school will be reimbursed are a rate of 55 cents per mile.
  • Parents who use a taxi or car service to transport their child to school will be reimbursed for the trip upon their completion of reimbursement forms that include a receipt for provided services. 
  • Students who are unable to attend school because of disruptions to yellow bus service will be marked absent with an explanation code that will ensure their attendance record is not negatively affected.
  • Students who arrive at school late because of disruptions to yellow bus service will be excused for up to two hours. 
  • The NYPD is deploying additional transit officers and crossing guards to help manage an increase in the number of students using public transportation and walking to school. 
  • Additional school safety officers will also be deployed to public schools.
  • The Taxi and Limousine Commission is issuing an alert to all licensees to anticipate increased demand and have the maximum number of cars available.
  • Field trips using yellow bus service are canceled.
  • Afterschool programs may remain open, but no busing will be provided. 
  • The strike should not affect Early Intervention or pre-K bus services, but there may be some disruption to those services as well.

Parents who need reimbursement should check with the school's office or download the forms on this Department of Education web site.

Contact Us