The 101 best pizzas in the U.S. have been ranked and 44 of them are in the tri-state area, including nine of the top 10, according to reports.
In its fourth annual list of the best pizzas across the country, The Daily Meal said that for the first three years it did the ranking, Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana in New Haven, Connecticut, came out on top.
Frank Pepe is still ranked best in Connecticut and No. 3 overall in the U.S. But this year it was topped by Di Fara in Midwood, Brooklyn, and John’s of Bleecker Street, which earned the top two spots. Both establishments have earned a lot praise over the years.
Pizza qualities considered during the ranking process included a sauce that balanced salty and sweet, an even-distribution of cheese, toppings in harmony and a flavorful crust. The most important factor was all the ingredients synchronizing as one in a pizza that held together in its cornicione, or outer crust.
The top states for pizzas were New York (30), California (10), Connecticut (9), Illinois (9), and New Jersey (5).
In all, there were 44 pizza places in the tri-state area that made the list of America’s 101 best. The majority, 26 of them, were in New York City. Of those 26, 14 were in Brooklyn, eight were in Manhattan, two were in Queens and one was in the Bronx and Staten Island, respectively. There were 18 outside of the city, with nine in Connecticut, five in New Jersey and four on Long Island.
Lo and behold the best pizza in our area, according to The Daily Meal. Below, New York is broken down into New York City and Long Island; no pizzas in the rest of the state made the list. There’s also the best pizza in New Jersey and Connecticut. The number in parenthesis is where each pizza place ranks on the national list.
New York City
1. Classic round pie at Di Fara in Midwood (1)
2. The Boom Pie at John’s of Bleecker Street in the West Village (2)
3. Margherita at Roberta’s in Bushwick (4)
4. Margherita at Totonno’s in Coney Island (5)
5. Brussels sprout at Motorino in Williamsburg (6)
6. Pepperoni at Lucali in Carroll Gardens (9)
7. Vodka at Rubirosa Ristorante in Nolita (10)
8. Sausage pie at Louie and Ernie’s in Schuylerville, Bronx (11)
9. Cheese at Joe’s Pizza in Greenwich Village (14)
10. Pepperoni at Grimaldi’s in DUMBO (17)
11. Kesté at Kesté Pizza & Vino in the West Village (18)
12. Regina at Paulie Gee’s in Greenpoint (21)
13. Cheese at Patsy’s in the East Village (22)
14. Prince Perfection at Prince Street Pizza in Nolita (23)
15. Cheese at New Park Pizza in Howard Beach (26)
16. The Saint Louie at Speedy Romeo in Bedford-Stuyvesant (29)
17. Sausage at Denino’s in Elm Park, Staten Island (30)
18. Pepperoni at Lombardi’s in Nolita (32)
19. The Classic at Emily in Clinton Hill (40)
20. Mushroom and sausage at Nick’s Pizza in Forest Hills (41)
21. Plain cheese pie at Amore Pizzeria in Flushing (51)
22. Grandma at Williamsburg Pizza in Williamsburg (63)
23. Cheese at J&V Pizzeria in Bensonhurst (81)
24. Roni Supreme at Emmy Squared in Williamsburg (85)
25. Grandma slice at L&B Spumoni Gardens in Gravesend (98)
26. Artichoke slice at Artichoke Basille’s Pizza in the East Village (101)
1. Grandma pie at Umberto’s Pizzeria & Restaurant in New Hyde Park (64)
2. Special at Gino’s of Long Beach in Long Beach (82)
3. Vodka at King Umberto Ristorante & Pizzeria in Elmont (83)
4. Vongole Bianca at Pizzetteria Brunetti in Westhampton Beach (87)
1. White clam at Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana in New Haven (3)
2. Tomato pie at Sally’s Apizza in New Haven (7)
3. Italian Bomb at Modern Apizza in New Haven (15)
4. Sausage pie at Colony Pizza in Stamford (39)
5. Plain pie at Ernie’s Pizzeria in New Haven (47)
6. Plain pie at Mike’s Apizza & Restaurant in West Haven (48)
7. Plain pie at Roseland Apizza in Derby (54)
8. Mashed potato and bacon at Bru Room at Bar in New Haven (60)
9. Special at Zuppardi’s in West Haven (61)
1. Pepperoni Sicilian at Santillo’s Brick Oven Pizza in Elizabeth (50)
2. Thin crust at Star Tavern Pizzeria in Orange (52)
3. Tomato pie at Delorenzo’s Tomato Pies in Robbinsville (41)
4. Sausage at Papa’s Tomato Pies in Robbinsville (23)
5. Gatto di potato at Reservoir Tavern in Boonton (99)