Raging Fire Engulfs Row Houses in Brooklyn; 11 Injured: FDNY

Photos and video from the scene show intense flames engulfing the buildings, as fire crews attempt to get the blaze under control

UPDATE: Hundreds of Pet Pigeons Killed in Blaze That Ripped Through Brooklyn Block

A roaring fire spread to five row houses in Brooklyn Tuesday night, injuring 11 people and leaving dozens others homeless.

The fire was first reported at 9:51 p.m. at a apartment building on DeKalb Avenue, between Wilson and Knickbocker avenues, in Bushwick.

By 10:30 p.m., five buildings had ignited, sending massive flames erupting into the sky. 

Eleven people were injured, although seven refused medical attention, officials said. The remaining four people were taken to Wyckoff Heights Medical Center. One suffered serious injuries and the remaining three, including a firefighter, had minor injuries.

The Red Cross said it met with 12 of the 13 families affected by the blaze and arranged emergency housing for 30 adults and 12 children. 

Residents from around the area gathered to watch the fire, as dozens of firefighters and numerous fire trucks pulled hoses and equipment towards the flaming homes.

One video shows two firefighters silhouetted by flames and smoke as they stand on top of a row house.

Black smoke could be seen rising high above Brooklyn in a drone video captured by Winson Yuan.

A resident named Marilyn was with the Red Cross as fire crews started to get the fire under control around 11 p.m. She said she had gone to the store when she got a call from her husband and son saying that their house was on fire.

"I ran in and all the smoke just came into us," she said. "I burst out crying because I lost everything in my house." 

Marilyn managed to save her birds as the flames quickly spread through her home. She said it only took moments for all that she owned to be destroyed.  

"I feel like my life went downhill. Coming home from work. Going upstairs. Being sick and trying to relax. I come back to having no house, no home, no nothing," she said. 

Smoke was still pouring from the row houses around 11:30 p.m. The fire was brought completely under control around 1 a.m.

The smoke and ash could still be smelled Wednesday morning. 

Marilyn heard that the fire may have started in a church at the back of one of the row houses, although that' has not been confirmed. 

Contact Us