Six beaches on Long Island are closed to bathing Memorial Day weekend because their waters are contaminated with bacteria that can be harmful to people.
The beaches are:
• Lake Ronkonkoma Beach in Islip
• Tanner Park Beach in Copiague
• Benjamin Beach in Bay Shore
• Fleet’s Cove Beach in Huntington
• Huntington Beach Community Association Beach in Centerport
• Crab Meadow Beach in Northport
Suffolk County Commissioner of Health Dr. James Tomarken said bathing in bacteria-contaminated water can result in gastrointestinal illness, as well as infections of the eyes, ears, nose and throat.
The beaches will reopen to bathing after further testing reveals bacteria has lowered to acceptable levels, officials said.
For the latest information on affected beaches, call the Bathing Beach HOTLINE at 852-5822, or visit Suffolk County's beach monitoring page.