To mark the launch of Consumer Protection Week, officials in New York and New Jersey have each released the top 10 frauds consumers need to be aware of based on the amount of complaints filed in each state.
With 4,006 complaints on record, Internet issues were the biggest concern for New York. In New Jersey, they ranked no. 6 on the list of top consumer frauds, with 166 complaints.
Dubbed the “crime scene of the 21st century” by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, Internet complaints included online privacy violations, spyware issues and consumer frauds.
Also making the list of top consumer complaints in New York were credit, automobiles, consumer services and landlord-tenant issues.
In New Jersey, top consumer complaints included home improvement, motor vehicles, credit and debt collection, loans, and professional occupational services.
NY State Top 10 Frauds
1. Internet (privacy issues, spyware, consumer frauds) 4,006
2. Credit (debt collection, credit card billing, debt settlement) 3,838
3. Automobile (buying, leasing, repair, service contracts, rentals) 3,279
4. Consumer-Related Services (security systems, restaurant/catering services, tech repairs) 3,661
5. Landlord/Tenant (residential repairs, deposit releases, tenant-harassment) 2,711
6. Mortgage (mortgage and loan broker fraud, foreclosures) 1,597
7. Retail Sales (any sale of goods: gift cards, clothing, rent-to-own) 1,219
8. Home Repair/Construction (home improvement services not delivered or done poorly) 1,211
9. Mail Order (purchases made online or from a catalog) 1,064
10. Telecommunications (phone cards, cellular services, pay-per-call) 1,017
New Jersey Top 10 Complaints
The top 10 complaints were:
1. Home Improvements — 937
2. Motor Vehicles — 778
3. Credit-Debt Collection — 243
4. Loans —238
5. Professional/Occupational Services — 188
6. Internet Sales/Goods —166
7. Home Furnishings/Furniture — 110
8. Wireless Phone Services — 107
9. Insurance — 89
10. Appliances — 82