Charging Hoverboard Bursts Into Flames in New Jersey, 3rd in Tri-State: Officials

charred hoverboard
Lanoka Harbor Fire

Officials say they are investigating after a hoverboard caught fire in a Jersey shore town.

Lanoka Harbor Fire Station 61 said Monday it responded to a call about one of the devices catching fire about 8:40 p.m. on Sunday.

The fire department published two photos on Facebook showing the charred hoverboard and surrounding carpet.

Lt. Chris Bruno says the device caught fire while charging and no one was injured.

So far, three hoverboard fires have been reported in the tri-state area, including the one in New Jersey, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. 

Earlier this month, a hoverboard combusted in the Westchester town of Chappaqua. Another hoverboard fire was also reported on Staten Island, according to CPSC, which says it's investigating a total of 22 reports of the fires in at least 17 states.

Hoverboards are motorized, two-wheel, skateboard-sized scooters that users stand on. They have been in demand but major online retailers like Overstock and Amazon have stopped selling them, and the three largest U.S. airlines have banned them because of potential fire danger from the lithium-ion batteries that power the devices.

Officials say residents should not leave the boards unattended while charging.

CPSC spokeswoman Patty Davis says it's received 70 reports of emergency room-treated injuries related to hoverboards, mostly fall- and collision-related, like fractures, strains and sprains, bumps and bruises, concussions and cuts. 

Other injuries have included smoke inhalation, a finger entrapment in the wheel and a finger run over by a board, said Davis.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us