Newark Blaze Sparked by Natural Gas: Officials

It took dozens of firefighters at least an hour to bring a blaze in Newark under control Wednesday night. 

The fire started inside an unoccupied two-story home at 12-14 Fabyan Place in the West Ward section at about 7 p.m., fire officials said. 

It appears to have been sparked by a small explosion caused by natural gas, officials said.

It took 13 fire trucks and 55 firefighters to bring the fire under control, officials said. The building was destroyed in the fire, and an adjacent building was seriously damaged. 

There were no injuries.

Investigation is continuing.

Contact Us