Police: Rigged Heating Units Sicken Dozens by Carbon Monoxide at Apartment Building

NBCUniversal, Inc.

What to Know

  • Rigged heating units caused nearly a dozen people to be hospitalized due to carbon monoxide poisoning and over a dozen more to be treated for elevated levels of the gas at a Long Island apartment building Wednesday, authorities tell News 4.
  • A call about the issue at a building on Fulton Avenue in Hempstead came in around 10:15 a.m
  • Authorities say the landlord of the building illegally installed heating units in each of the apartments. These heating units ended up being the source of the carbom monoxide, police and fire officials say

Rigged heating units caused nearly a dozen people to be hospitalized due to carbon monoxide poisoning and over a dozen more to be treated for elevated levels of the gas at a Long Island apartment building Wednesday, authorities tell News 4.

A call about the issue at a building on Fulton Avenue in Hempstead came in around 10:15 a.m. It had to be evacuated. The building houses 15 apartments, according to authorities.

In total, according to both Village of Hempstead Police and Fire Departments, nine individuals were transported to a local hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning and 19 others were treated on scene for elevated levels of the gas.

News

Top news stories in the tri-state area, in America and around the world

NJ Four-Story Building Collapses; No Reports of Injuries

1 of 4 Charged Gets 42 Years in NJ Girl’s Stray-Bullet Death

Among those hospitalized, ages range from 5 months to 35 years old.

When fire and police arrived on the scene they found among the affected a mother and child unconscious in one of the apartment units. They are expected to survive.

Authorities say the landlord of the building illegally installed heating units in each of the apartments. These heating units ended up being the source of the carbon monoxide, police and fire officials say.

After installing the heating units, the landlord allegedly connected each unit to public gas and residents were responsible to pay for the cost of heating in addition to their rent.

One apartment registered a carbon monoxide level of 140 ppm. Most people will not experience any symptoms from prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide levels of approximately 1 to 70 ppm.

The residents will be out of the building for a couple of weeks as on-going inspections take place.

The investigation continues.

Copyright NBC New York
Contact Us