A Long Island man has been charged with animal abuse after a necropsy showed his dog had wood and plastic in her system.
The Nassau County prosecutors say Jemell Blackman told veterinarians he thought Scotia, his pit bull-terrier mix, had been poisoned because she showed no signs of illness until Feb. 3.
Newsday says the dog was euthanized after 40 minutes of unsuccessful efforts to save her.
Prosecutors say the 2-year-old pooch was severely underweight and ate the wood and plastic because she was starving.
They say she was so ice cold that a temperature did not register on a thermometer.
Blackman, of Westbury, was arraigned Monday on animal abuse charges and released on his own recognizance.
He and his attorney could not be immediately reached for comment.