Police say a man was seriously burned after he doused a rental car with rubbing alcohol to kill bedbugs and then lit a cigarette inside the car on Long Island.
Scott Kemery, 44, was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital with first- and second-degree burns following the fire just after 5 p.m. Tuesday in the parking lot of the King Kullen Supermarket in Eastport, according to police.
Kemery, of Bridgehampton, told police that he had bedbugs in the rental car from Florida and that someone had told him that saturating them with alcohol would kill them.
After dousing the car with rubbing alcohol, he sat in the car and lit a cigarette, police say. He was able to escape the burning car on his own.
Officials said the fire did not appear to be criminal in nature, according to Newsday.