A man blew off several of his fingers trying to light a firework on Long Island, police say.
The 39-year-old man attempted to light off a mortar firework Sunday night around 10:30 before it immediately exploded in his hands, according to authorities.
Nassau County paramedics rushed to the scene at Midwood Street and Newport Road in Uniondale and took the man to an area hospital to be treated.
The man, who suffered serious burns to his face, neck and hands and lost several of his fingers, is listed in serious but stable condition, officials said.
The investigating is ongoing.