What to Know
- Amazon canceled plans to build a headquarters in NYC and will not look for another location — a stunning reversal after a year-long search
- Cold water was thrown on reports 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett staged his attack in response to his character being written off the show
- The MTA boldly declared its love for commuters in a Valentine’s Day message on Twitter — only to have its feelings crushed by riders
Thursday, Feb. 21, 2019
"Empire" actor Jussie Smollett was charged Wednesday with disorderly conduct and filing a false police report.
Chicago Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said earlier in the day before formal charges were announced Smollett was considered a "suspect in a criminal investigation" for "filing a false police report" — a class four felony.
The charge carries a sentence of probation or up to one to three years in prison.
Read more here.
2. Transit Activists Race M14 Bus
Transit activists raced the M14 bus to highlight the need for clear bus lanes.
Read more on Gothamist here.
3. New Jersey Becomes First US State to Take Legal Oscar Bets
Are you so sure that Lady Gaga will win an Oscar for her performance in a "Star is Born" that you'd be willing to bet on it?"
Now, you can.
For the first time in the United States, you can legally bet on one of pop culture's biggest nights.
Read more here.
Lauren visits The William Vale Hotel to experience HigherDOSE's outdoor spa.
See more here.
For the latest entertainment news and things to do, tune in to New York Live, Monday through Friday at 11:30 a.m. on NBC 4 New York.