Levi Aron Expected to Plead Guilty in Slaying of Leiby Kletzky: Sources

A tentative plea deal calls for a sentence of 40 to 60 years in prison for Aron, but the details could still change, the source said

Accused child killer Levi Aron is expected to plead guilty next week to abducting, killing and dismembering Leiby Kletzky, the 8-year-old boy who was kidnapped when he got lost walking home from day camp in Borough Park last July, according to two sources close to the case.

A tentative plea deal calls for a sentence of 40 to 60 years in prison for Aron, but the details could still change, one source said. A second source said talks about the length of Aron's prison term are continuing.

Aron's attorney, Jennifer McCann, declined to comment, as did a spokesman for the Brooklyn DA. Aron's next court hearing is scheduled for Aug. 9.

"The family very much wanted to avoid a trial," said state Assemblyman Dov Hikind. "The pain they would go through is beyond comprehension. They are content with this and this is what they wanted."

Hikind, who said he will read the Kletzky family's statement in court, continued: "Leiby will always be missed. They want to go on with life as best they can. The family feels this will be justice... They know it will not bring Leiby back."

Kletzky went missing July 11 of last year while walking home from religious day camp, the first time he was allowed to walk by himself. He missed his turn and got lost, and police say he approached Aron for help.

About two days later, the boy's severed feet were found in the freezer at Aron's apartment, along with bloody knives and a carving board. The rest of the boy's body was found in a red suitcase in a trash bin several blocks away. His legs had been cut from his torso.

According to prosecutors, Aron admitted he killed the boy after he panicked when he saw posters with the child's photo. After the two met on the street, Aron took the boy to a wedding upstate, then to his apartment.

Read a redacted transcript of his confession here.

The child remained at the apartment alone all day while Aron was at work. When Aron returned, he took a bath towel and smothered the boy, he said, according to authorities.

The medical examiner's office said the boy was given a cocktail of prescription drugs. But Aron's confession didn't mention that, and he denied ever tying up the boy, though marks were found on the child's body.

A court-ordered evaluation in August found Aron fit to stand trial on murder charges, but said he is deeply troubled, with an adjustment disorder and a personality disorder with schizoid features.

"His mood is neutral, practically blank," the psychologist wrote in the evaluation. "The only time he seems to show any emotional response is when he is asked difficult questions about the reason for his incarceration."

Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Get our apps here and sign up for email newsletters here. Get breaking news delivered right to your phone -- just text NYBREAKING to 639710. For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.

Contact Us