11 Hurt, 3 Critically, by Carbon Monoxide Exposure at Jersey City Building

Eleven people, including one firefighter, were taken to the hospital for carbon monoxide exposure -- and three remain in critical condition -- after authorities said a boiler malfunctioned at a 16-family building in Jersey City. 

It wasn't immediately clear if the firefighter was among those critically hurt. The building on Harrison Avenue was evacuated shortly before noon. 

Chopper 4 footage from over the scene showed at least a dozen emergency vehicles converged on the area near the building. All the windows of the affected building were open as well.

One resident, Sheema Mostafa, said she had to rush out of the building with her infant and two other children after firefighters were called to the building. She told News 4 her children are all OK.

"We left right away," she said. 

Officials said, preliminarily, that a boiler malfunction looks to be the source of the gas.

Trendy Management, which manages the building, said in a statement that it is working with city officials to determine the source of the gas and that company workers will "assist those affected to the fullest of our abilities."

Contact Us