Explore the interactive photo above for shore safety tips.
Are you heading to the beach this Fourth of July weekend?
Before heading to the shore, be sure to check out these nine tips for keeping you and your family safe.
- Don’t forget to pack sunscreen.
- If you’re not a strong swimmer, bring a life jacket to wear.
- Always swim near a lifeguard.
- Obey the posted signs and flags, they could have warnings on them.
- Head to the beach with a buddy, especially if you plan on swimming.
- Pay extra close attention to children and the elderly, as they might not be strong swimmers.
- Keep lookout for water plants and animals, they could potentially be dangerous.
- Learn about rip current safety measures before hitting the water.
- Enter the water feet first, it’s probably too shallow to dive.
More shore safety tips can be found from the American Red Cross.