Smoke Billows Outside Grand Central Terminal After Fire at Junior's Restaurant

A small fire at a restaurant inside Grand Central Terminal sent smoke billowing out of the transit hub and into the streets nearby on Tuesday, officials and witnesses said.

The blaze broke out in the ducts at Junior's Restaurant at about 2 p.m., causing smoke to build up and spew from a smokestack on top of the massive train terminal. 

The blaze was brought under control by about 2:30 p.m. Firefighters say no one was hurt.

The blaze set off fire alarms inside the terminal. It's not clear if any trains were affected. 

Smoke from the kitchen fire billowed into the midtown streets.

Pedestrians, workers in buildings nearby and commuters all took to social media to post photos.

"Heavy smoke pouring out of Grand Central," tweeted @kevinjcall, who attached photos and video from an office window nearby.

Other people at ground level posted images of a haze of smoke around the station. 

"The air is getting really thick with smoke at Grand Central," tweeted @AJ_Acevedo.
Contact Us