Caregiver Rushes Grandmother to Safety as Flames Pour from Manhattan Apartment Building

A New York City caregiver is credited with saving a grandmother's life when a fire broke out in the 90-year-old's Manhattan apartment building Friday evening, sending thick smoke soaring over the neighborhood in the furthest northern reaches of the borough. 

Josepha Cruz-Diaz was caring for Ramona Fernandez at her home at Broadway and West 228th Street in Marble Hill and noticed the smell of smoke outside the door.

Fernandez's son, Juan Fernandez, said that she rushed the 90-year-old out out, and even stopped her when she tried to go back into the apartment to open windows. 

"She says she held my mother by her hands and said, 'No. We're leaving. Let's go!," Fernandez recounted. 

The caregiver and grandmother got out OK, and so did everyone else. Though the flames made for a dramatic scene Friday evening, no injuries were reported. 

Chopper 4 footage from the scene showed bright flames were seen pouring from windows, and at one point flaming debris caught an air conditioner on the second or third floor on fire. 

Most of the flames were out by 5 p.m. as firefighters doused hot spots. 

Contact Us