Fire Chief

Fire at Long Island Country Club Hurts 1: Police

A fire broke out at a Long Island country club early Sunday, destroying a residential home on the property and injuring a firefighter, police said. 

All four people who lived in the home for groundskeepers at the Glen Oaks Club on Post Road in Westbury got out safely, police said. 

The accidental fire started outside a front door at about 5 a.m., Westbury police said. 

It took about 150 firefighters to extinguish the blaze. One of them suffered a broken foot, police said. 

The home was far from a water source for firefighters to use to extinguish the blaze, so they brought in a water tanker and also laid down a mile of hose, the fire chief said. 

Contact Us